• Views of St Andrew's Church, Ryton

  • A view of the bridge at Grindle

  • The parish of Ryton and Grindle

Welcome to the website for Ryton and Grindle Parish Council

Ryton and Grindle is a small civil parish in the east of Shropshire, with a population of 174 and just 72 households. Situated just south of Shifnal, it also has an eastern boundary with Albrighton and the parish comprises the village of Ryton and the smaller settlement of Grindle. 

Ryton can trace it's history back to Norman times when it was recorded as 'Ruitone' in the Doomsday Book of 1086. Originally part of the parish of Shifnal, Ryton became a separate parish during the 12th century with the first mention a priest at Ryton in 1186.

The current St Andrew's church in Ryton appears to date from 1710, though the font, which is recessed into the tower arch has decorations from the 14th century and the east and south walls are medieval, though much of the original stonework has been renewed. The tower houses a total of six bells of which 2 were added to celebrate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee in 1887 and the most recent in 1993

Apart from the church, the parish is home to 8 other Grade II listed properties along with a bridge and a tower in the cemetery, plus Ryton Hall, credited to the work of Italian Romolo Piazzani. He has a portrait on the Scottish National Portrait Gallery and is buried in Ryton churchyard. The house has now been converted into apartments with houses built in the former garden.

News

26th April 2020
Due to Covid-19 restrictions, the May meeting of the Parish Council has been...
3rd September 2018
What is fly-tipping? Fly-tipping is the illegal dumping of any waste or rubbish...
12th March 2018
Penny Brasenell has taken over the posiiton of Clerk to Ryton and Grindle...
4th January 2018
John Webb was elected as the new Vice Chair of the Parish Council at the last...
4th January 2018
Richard Holt, who had previously acted as volunteer Clerk to the council for a...